Hey guys! It’s been a while, but I’m back with another simple dish for all you uni students or anyone who likes easy flavoursome dishes! As a student, one of the best things to do so is to cook quite a large portion for a few days and this really helps save time when it comes to looking for lunch/dinner! This recipe made about 3-4 portions. So I hope you enjoy my version of it and if you gave it a try and liked it, please leave feedback 🙂
So here’s all the things you’ll need:
- 1 and a half bowls of pasta
- 2 pieces of chicken breast meat
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1-2 tbsp of tomato puree
- Seasoning (Salt, mixed herbs, hot curry powder, all purpose seasoning, jerk seaoning, maggi liquid seasoning)
- Prepare your chicken by dicing them. I personally like to wash my chicken with a bit of water and lemon juice.
2. I add a few teaspoons of Maggi liquid seasoning, (this seasoning is the hot version but I like chilli so if you don’t, you can leave this out) roughly 1tbsp of all purpose seasoning and jerk seasoning.
3. Once you have mixed the seasoning into the chicken, place it in the fridge (with foil on top) for about 10 minutes or so just to let the seasoning come together.
4. Add half of your chopped onions in to a pan on medium heat. Once it begins to fry, add your tbsp of tomato puree. Tomato puree helps to increase the richness and flavour of tomatoes.
5. Once, the onions have changed in colour as the tomato puree cooks (this takes approx 1-2 mins) add your tin of chopped tomatoes and keep on a medium heat to cook. Once the tomatoes begins to turn into a sauce (and is no longer of a watery consistency) season with 1tbsp of hot curry powder, mixed herbs, all purpose seasoning and jerk seasoning and a tiny pinch of salt.
5. Place your pasta in a pot of boiling water and cook until al dente (basically a fancy word for edible, haha, well really it means until its firm to bite). As it boils, add a pinch of salt to season.
6. Take your chicken out of the fridge, add the rest of the onions into a pan on medium heat, let the onions fry for a minute or two then add your chicken. Cook until golden brown.
7. Once the chicken has cooked through thoroughly and has a golden brown look, add it into your cooked tomato sauce.
8. Once your pasta is cooked through, drain and add to the tomato and chicken mix. Then voila! Your pasta chicken is ready.
At this stage, it is optional to add grated cheese however I enjoyed this alone because the I found that the sauce was quite rich alone. However, when eating the next day, I would add cheese when reheating the dish as the tomato sauce begins to soak into the pasta!
So there’s my recipe. All in all the cooking time was roughly between 30-45 minutes and thanks for reading this post!